Loading

GP 

Rv. Reichel left the pastorate in August, 1926, and was succeeded by Rev. J. S. Davis. Rev. Davis came as a supply minister but was soon called to be the full-time pastor. During his pastorate, he celebrated both his 50th Anniversary in the ministry and his 50th wedding anniversary. Rev. Davis resigned on September 1, 1931. In the meantime, the young people outgrew their Sunday School department room; so they raised money to build the Likhi Bungalow. (The church purchased additional land to square up the lot on which this bungalow was built directly west of the church building.) After Rev. Davis resigned, he remained a member of the church until his death. Both he and his wife passed away on the same date and a double funeral was held in the church with Rev. C. P. Jones, Superintendent of Missions of the Kansas City Baptist Association, officiating.

The church building was damaged by fire in 1929 or 1930; but was quickly repaired.

Rev. L. M. Denton, president of the Kansas City Baptist Theological Seminary which is now Central Baptist Theological Seminary, served as supply minister until the congregation called Rev. John Lee Harris to pastor the church. Rev. Harris became the minister of the church on June 1, 1932, and served until he entered the military service as a chaplain in October 1942.

On Friday evening, April 11, 1947, Dr. W. Ross Edwards, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Warrensburg preached for the church. He and Mrs. Edwards were attending the state WMU Meeting in Kansas City. Following the message, the church with over 300 members present, voted to call Dr. Edwards to serve as pastor. Dr. Edwards began his pastorate on the first Sunday of June, 1947. Shortly after this, the church realized a need for an Educational Director and Miss Ruth Lucas (later to be Mrs. George Cooper) was employed in September 1947.

Until 1947 the church was affiliated with both the Northern (American) Baptist and the Southern Baptist Conventions. In business meeting on August 27, 1947, the church decided by a vote of 148 to 7 to discontinue affiliation with the Northern (American) Baptist Convention and to continue with the Southern Baptist Convention. The Ladies Aid Society beame the Wom an's Missionary Union with all the auxiliaries. In 1948, the Brotherhood (the men's organization) was organized. The B.Y.P.U. became the Church Training Union with a fully graded program about this same time. 

The small Baby Building was built in back of the old frame church, and construction began in 1948 on a new and larger auditorium west of the original white frame building.  The following year a financial crisis arose in the building program. The church faced this situation, raising $45,000 in two weeks. With a $60,000 loan, construction resumed and the building was completed. The first services were held in the new brick auditorium on March 5, 1950. The mission Sunday School which was started in 1938 became the Beacon Baptist Church on September 20, 1950.   

On Friday evening, April 11, 1947, Dr. W. Ross Edwards, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Warrensburg preached for the church. He and Mrs. Edwards were attending the state WMU Meeting in Kansas City. Following the message, the church with over 300 members present, voted to call Dr. Edwards to serve as pastor. Dr. Edwards began his pastorate on the first Sunday of June, 1947. Shortly after this, the church realized a need for an Educational Director and Miss Ruth Lucas (later to be Mrs. George Cooper) was employed in September 1947.

Until 1947 the church was affiliated with both the Northern (American) Baptist and the Southern Baptist Conventions. In business meeting on August 27, 1947, the church decided by a vote of 148 to 7 to discontinue affiliation with the Northern (American) Baptist Convention and to continue with the Southern Baptist Convention. The Ladies Aid Society became the Woman's Missionary Union with all the auxiliaries. In 1948, the Brotherhood (the men's organization) was organized. The B.Y.P.U. became the Church Training Union with a fully graded program about this same time.

 

The small Baby Building was built in back of the old frame church, and construction began in 1948 on a new and larger auditorium west of the original white frame building.  The following year a financial crisis arose in the building program. The church faced this situation, raising $45,000 in two weeks. With a $60,000 loan, construction resumed and the building was completed. The first services were held in the new brick auditorium on March 5, 1950. The mission Sunday School which was started in 1938 became the Beacon Baptist Church on September 20, 1950

  buildings

Grace Point Snapshot

Grace Point Church is a loving, inclusive church family intent on worshiping God and extending God's light.
 

News & Happenings

  • How to Contact In .. (read)
  • Interim Bible Stu .. (read)
  • Interim Pastor, B .. (read)
  • Statistics  .. (read)
  • From Pastor Bob W .. (read)
  • Offering Envelope .. (read)
  • Praise Team .. (read)
  • Extended Sessions .. (read)
  • Interim Pastor Ch .. (read)
  • Grizzlies Basebal .. (read)
  • Wednesday Night S .. (read)
  • Forerunner School .. (read)
  • Opportunities for .. (read)
  • July Birthdays .. (read)
  • Paving of Church  .. (read)
  • Meetings .. (read)
  • Parking Lot Updat .. (read)
  • Caring for our Wo .. (read)
  • Pastor Selection  .. (read)
  • Important Message .. (read)
  • Business Meeting  .. (read)
  • Carpet Cleaning .. (read)
  • Renovations in Ch .. (read)

    Call2All

  • Athol & Debbie Ba .. (read)

    Community Assistance Council

  • Community Assista .. (read)

    Missions

  • Wyoming Mission T .. (read)

    Pastor Search

  • Church Profile .. (read)
  • Pastor Profile .. (read)

    Thank You Grace Point

  • Thank You .. (read)

    The Hook and Needle Crew

  • The Hook and Need .. (read)
  • Hook and Needle C .. (read)

    Vacation Bible School

  • Son Treasure Isla .. (read)
  • Son Treasure Isla .. (read)
  • Schedule Change .. (read)
  • VACATION BIBLE SC .. (read)

    Warford Elementary School

  • Warford Backsnack .. (read)

    Widows & Widowers

  • Widows & Widowers .. (read)

    Women on Missions

  • WOM Project .. (read)

    Youth

  • Youth Information .. (read)
  •  

    Contact Info

    Grace Point Baptist Church
    10415 Chestnut Drive
    Kansas City, MO  64137
    (816) 761-4342 (Office)
    (816) 765-5433 (Fax)
    info@gracepointbaptistchurch.com